You can add Mark Buehrle’s name to the list of those feeling betrayed as a result of the 12-player blockbuster trade between the Miami Marlins and Toronto Blue Jays.
The 33-year-old left-hander was one of five Marlins players sent to Toronto in the trade. The deal comes less than a year after Buehrle signed a four-year, $58 million deal with Miami.
Although his contract did not include a written a no-trade clause, Buehrle and his agent Jeff Berry issued a joint statement Wednesday accusing the Marlins of going back on their word.
"I’m upset with how things turned out in Miami," Buehrle said. "Just like the fans in South Florida, I was lied to on multiple occasions. But I’m putting it behind me and looking forward to moving on with my career."
Marlins ownership has not given out a full no-trade clause since 2002 when the current ownsership took over.
Berry said the overriding factor in Buehrle’s decision to sign with Miami last winter was his relationship with then-Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen, adding, "money was far from the most important factor in his decision."
He said the Marlins made, "repeated assurances about their long-term commitment to Mark and his family and their long-term commitment to building a winning tradition of Marlins baseball in the new stadium."
Berry did acknowledge that Buehrle had raised concerns about the lack of a no-trade clause.
"This is unquestionably a business, and signing with the Marlins was a calculated risk," said Berry. "Mark held up his end of the bargain; unfortunately, the same can’t be said of the Marlins."
Earlier this week, Jose Reyes’ agent Chris Leible told the Miami Herald his client was "shocked" by the trade and had been "told many times he wasn’t going anywhere."