David Price hasn’t had an easy time since arriving in Boston, often finding himself at the centre of criticism from fans and media covering the Red Sox.
Now, the left-hander says he’s going to limit his dealings with the Boston press.
“I’m the same me. I don’t talk to the media every day like I did last year and I guess I get blown up for that,” Price told Boston Globe columnist Dan Shaughnessy on Wednesday. “But I was honest with everything they asked me last year and I get blown up for that. So they did this to themselves. Talk to me on the day I pitch and that’s it. There are no more personal interviews. There are no more asking me questions on a personal level. That’s done.”
Price signed a seven-year, $217-million deal with the Red Sox following the 2015 season. It’s the largest contract ever awarded to a pitcher and he faced plenty of scrutiny because of that.
He went 17-9 with a 3.99 ERA in 2016, leading the American League with 35 starts and 230 innings, but that was largely overshadowed by his playoff output. Price allowed five runs on six hits over 3.1 innings in Game 2 of the AL Division Series as the Red Sox were eventually swept in three games by the Cleveland Indians.
This past spring the 31-year-old dealt with left elbow troubles that sidelined him until late May. He’s looked strong since returning from the disabled list though, most recently surrendering one run on three hits across seven innings in a win over the Baltimore Orioles.
Meanwhile, the Red Sox appear to be rounding into form, having won 11 of their past 16 games. Following Wednesday night’s loss to the division-leading Yankees, Boston sits two games behind New York in the AL East.
“I know I’ve got 24 guys in this clubhouse and all our coaches rooting for me, and my family and my friends,” Price told Shaughnessy. “That’s all I need. Whatever anybody else wants to do, that’s on them. I’m fine. I’m at peace.”
[relatedlinks]
