Rockies preparing to be without Reyes for extended period

Shortstop Jose Reyes. (David Zalubowski/AP)

SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — The Colorado Rockies began their exhibition schedule Wednesday facing the possibility they’ll be without starting shortstop Jose Reyes for a large portion of the season.

New York Yankees closer Aroldis Chapman agreed Tuesday to a 30-game suspension, discipline stemming from an October incident involving his girlfriend. Chapman’s suspension suggests Reyes could face more severe discipline.

Chapman wasn’t charged in an incident involving his girlfriend but acknowledged he fired a gun. Reyes pleaded not guilty after he was arrested at a Hawaii resort on Oct. 31 and charged with abusing his wife. His trial date is April 4, the day the Rockies open the regular season at Arizona, and he was suspended with pay last week by Major League Baseball, pending the trial and its investigation.

"We’re just waiting to hear what happens," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said Wednesday.

Reyes, the Rockies’ highest-paid player, is due $22 million in each of the next two seasons. He will not attend spring training.

"We know that whenever Jose is active again, there’s going to be a period where he’s going to have to get ready to go out and compete in games," Weiss said. "So our focus is on the guys here and getting ready for the season."

Veteran Daniel Descalso was in Weiss’ starting lineup at shortstop against Arizona in the Rockies’ exhibition opener Wednesday. Prospect Trevor Story is scheduled to start Thursday’s game against the Diamondbacks.

Rafael Ynoa and Cristhian Adames also are candidates to play shortstop.

The 32-year-old Reyes, a four-time All-Star and the 2011 NL batting champion, was acquired from Toronto last summer in a trade that sent longtime shortstop Troy Tulowitzki to the Blue Jays.

"He was my favourite shortstop growing up," Adames said. "And he helped me a lot last year."

Comments are turned off for this story.