DUNEDIN, Fla. – Cuban shortstop Aledmys Diaz worked out privately for the Toronto Blue Jays last weekend, an industry source told Sportsnet, although a union between the two doesn’t appear imminent.
The 23-year-old held a workout for multiple teams last week in Arizona and was in Dunedin this past Saturday for a session with the Blue Jays.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported that Diaz worked out for the St. Louis Cardinals on Wednesday and was expected to receive an offer from them within 24 hours. The defending National League champions, the report said, are among four teams that have shown the most interest in Diaz, who has also played second and third base. The San Francisco Giants, New York Yankees, Atlanta Braves, Philadelphia Phillies and Seattle Mariners are also in the mix, according to the Post-Dispatch.
Asked about his chances of adding a second baseman while speaking with reporters Thursday morning, Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos replied: “Right now through free agency, I’d say no.”
“I would think it’s unlikely that we add someone there but I would say that we’ll still continue to have some dialogue trade-wise, see if we can bring someone else in,” he continued. “Our target has been more a younger guy that has upside that has a chance to be a long-term piece.”
Rookie Ryan Goins is the front-runner to open the season at second base for the Blue Jays with Maicer Izturis and Chris Getz also in the mix.