Toronto Maple Leafs president and general manager Brian Burke, whom you may know better as @LeafsBB20, has been firing off responses to some of the 1,000-plus questions posed by his 73,912 followers (and growing) this week.
After trolling Burke’s answers, here are the 15 most interesting things we’ve learned about the man, in 140 characters or less:
1. Just because you follow Brian Burke doesn’t mean Brian Burke will follow you back.
“I don’t follow anyone on Twitter. Don’t have enough time to invest. I generally hear if something important is tweeted.”
2. Burke’s most influential NHL mentor was also a Leafs guy.
“Pat Quinn, my boss when I first started as an Asst GM in Vancouver in 1987. Great teacher, very smart. I admire him.”
3. Despite the miracles of modern technology, not all of the world’s solutions can be condensed to 140 keystrokes…
“The concussion issue is too complex for a tweet. It’s a real issue. Will discuss in greater detail on our web site soon.”
4. …But most cures really are that easy.
“ACL rebuild used to be iffy. Now it’s almost routine. Get a personal trainer. Follow their advice. Do not rush this!”
5. St. Louis has more going for it than Jeff Fisher.
“Went to a Cardinals game every summer too. Great yard. Great sports town.
6. But even a road date in St. Louis isn’t as desirable as a trip to Burke’s favourite NHL city to visit.
“Easy. Boston. My older children live there.”
7. Burke would rather go fishing than go golfing.
“Fishing any day! I am going ice fishing early tomorrow morning!”
8. Burke shoots down the “Moneypuck” notion.
“No team has ever won a championship in baseball with a pure Moneyball system. No analog in hockey, in my view.”
9. The man has a superstitious game-day routine.
“Yes, same patterns every game day. I stick with the hot cufflinks. It’s really ridiculous when you analyze it.”
10. Burke has a favourite all-time historical Big Three.
“Abraham Lincoln. Winston Churchill. George Washington.”
11. The GM’s favourite album was released 42 years ago, and rereleased in 2011.
“I feel very old if I answer this question… Derek and the Dominoes (Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs).”
12. If the Leafs are to make a big trade in 2012, don’t expect it to happen on trade deadline day.
“I have never been a deadline guy. Historically, January is the month where I have been most active.”
13. Leafs Nation should be patient as goaltender James Reimer sharpens his game.
“I think Reims will be a top NHL goalie in 5 years. Right now, Monster has grabbed the net (and saved us so far this year)…”
14. Given his druthers, Toronto will get to host it all.
“We’ve asked the NHL for the Entry Draft, Winter Classic and All-Star Game for our centennial year. Not sure we will get it all.”
15. Burke knows how to talk that crazy Starbucks language.
“My Starbuck’s drink is a venti 5 long shot Americano w/2 inches of room. Half & half and sugar. Your barrista will hate me.”