Babcock: I’m going to do what’s best for me

Mike Babcock. (Michael Dwyer/AP)

Mike Babcock’s future with the Detroit Red Wings is still up in the air.

Babcock is in the final year of his contract and would be a coveted asset should he become available. The 51-year-old, who won a Stanley Cup with the Red Wings in 2008 and two Olympic gold medals with Team Canada (2010, 2014), says he isn’t concerned about his contract status.

“It doesn’t make one difference to [Red Wings GM] Ken Holland or myself,” Babcock told Sportsnet 590 The Fan Saturday. “The reality is I’m going to do what’s best for me…Ken is going to do what’s best for the Red Wings.”

More NHL on Sportsnet:
Subscribe: Rogers GameCentre Live
Rogers Hometown Hockey | Broadcast Schedule
Sportsnet Fantasy Hockey Pool

Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos reported in October that the Toronto Maple Leafs had reached out to the Red Wings earlier in the year to inquire about Babcock’s status with the team—the conversation took place prior to the two-year extension the Leafs gave Randy Carlyle in May.

“In the end I think we’re going to find a way to work things out,” added Babcock, who reiterated he’s more focused on winning than his contract. “If you look after the present you’ll be fine.”