Montreal Canadiens enforcer George Parros is on the road to recovery.
Canadiens GM Marc Bergevin told the Montreal Gazette Wednesday that while Parros is not ready to return to the lineup, he “is feeling good, doing a lot better.”
Parros suffered a concussion in the first game of the NHL season last week when his face smashed into the ice during a fight with Toronto Maple Leafs forward Colton Orr.
“A concussion is a hard thing to gauge. You could have a guy out a week or 10 days – (Brendan) Gallagher last year was quick but (Rene) Bourque and Raffi (Raphael Diaz) went longer,” Bergevin said. “You never know with concussions. Overall we’re pretty happy with where George is at today, looking at everything that happened.”
There’s no set timeline on Parros’ return, but the progress he is making is an encouraging sign.
“Every day is just a checklist. It’s to check the symptoms, a whole bunch of them – headaches, (sensitivity to) lights… He’s almost symptom-free as we speak. Every day is an evaluation because the next day could be worse, but so far it’s been going up every day.
“I’m pretty confident that George will be back sooner than later.”
Parros was traded by the Florida Panthers to the Canadiens in July for Philippe Lefebvre and a seventh-round draft pick in the 2014 NHL Draft.
In 453 career NHL regular season games, the Princeton alumnus has 18 goals, 35 points and 1,027 penalty minutes.