Vancouver Canucks general manager Mike Gillis says he is planning a face-to-face meeting with goaltender Roberto Luongo in Florida in the near future.
Luongo has been one of the most talked-about players in the NHL over the past several seasons, as the Montreal native has been surrounded by trade speculation.
It was expected by many that Luongo would be dealt to another team at some point this off-season. However, on NHL Draft Day in June the Canucks traded their other netminder, Cory Schneider – who supplanted Luongo as the team’s primary starter – to the New Jersey Devils for their first-round pick (which the Canucks used to select Bo Horvat).
The Olympic gold medallist has not addressed the Schneider trade or the current nature of his relationship with the team’s management.
"I've only spoken to him on the phone," Gillis told Team 1040 Radio Thursday. "I'm going to go and have a visit with him in the next little bit.
"Roberto and I have a very good relationship, and we'll be able to talk about all of the issues, and I'll know more when I see him."
Earlier this month, Canucks owner Francesco Aquilini reportedly met with Luongo to talk things over.
LUONGO BREAKS HIS SILENCE
Luongo has finally broken his off-season silence. Sort of.
The Canucks netminder was eliminated from the World Series of Poker Main Event this week, busting out on his second day of play and thus not making the money, and talked about his performance in the tournament.
“I had high hopes for this year,” Luongo told pokerlistings.com. “You can play really well sometimes and it’s just not meant to be. Unfortunately I feel like today was one of those days.”
The 34-year-old is an avid poker player and he even created a new Twitter account to reflect his poker playing persona.
Luongo finished 634th in last year’s $10,000 buy-in event. He won $19,227 for his efforts.