The Vancouver Canucks could be allowing two of their forwards to hit the free agency market without so much as an offer.
J.P. Barry, the agent for Canucks unrestricted-free-agent-to-be Mason Raymond, told Vancouver’s News 1130 Wednesday that he had a brief talk with Canucks assistant general manager Laurence Gillman last week but that the team is still deciding whether to float an offer Raymond’s way.
Raymond, who began his NHL career in Vancouver in 2007-08, scored 10 goals and 12 assists in 46 games played in 2013. He also had two points in the Canucks’ first-round playoff loss to the San Jose Sharks.
The 27-year-old’s one-year, $2.275-million contract with the Canucks will conclude on July 5, when he will become an unrestricted free agent for the first time.
Barry told News 1130 that he will check in with the Canucks brass again this week.
In other Vancouver UFA news, 33-year-old centre Manny Malholtra — who will not be retiring — is excited about hitting the open market, according to agent Paul Krepelka. Krepelka told News 1130 that Maholtra is working out daily and has commenced his off-season program.
Fearing for the long-term health of Malhotra — whose struggles with vision since being hit in the eye with a puck in 2011 have been well documented — Canucks GM Mike Gillis removed the forward from his team’s lineup after he had played just nine games in 2013.