News and notes from the Edmonton Oilers on Deadline ’09:
- The three players most often asked for from opposing GMs are all untouchables in Edmonton. They are 19-year-old Sam Gagner, 21-year-old speedster Andrew Cogliano, and 6-3, 200-pound Michigan State defenceman Jeff Petry, who is 21. The second round pick is the son of former Detroit pitcher Dan Petry.
– Word is Edmonton was willing to part with a young building block – perhaps D Tom Gilbert – in an effort to get Martin St. Louis out of Tampa Bay. They were rebuffed.
– The Oilers are in serious need of a LW or C to play with Ales Hemsky on their first line.
They would consider both a player with term left – yes, they’ve kicked the tires on Ryan Smyth – and a rental like a Bill Guerin or Alexei Kovalev.
– The Oilers like LW Slava Kozlov in Atlanta, and would try to include agitator Colby Armstrong in any deal with the Thrashers. That trade would scratch two itches – the first-line winger and some sandpaper for a soft lineup.
– Also with Atlanta, don’t rule out a return – for a third time – of Marty Reasoner. The Oilers are getting killed in the faceoff circle and on the penalty kill this season. Reasoner helps in both spots.