CSA drops off 2015 women’s WC bid book

February 15, 2011, 10:41 PM

THE CANADIAN PRESS

The Canadian Soccer Association is reaching out to disgruntled women’s coach Carolina Morace.

After helping deliver Canada’s 2015 Women’s World Cup book to FIFA House in Zurich on Tuesday, general secretary Peter Montopoli remained in Europe to meet with Morace, who is currently running a Canadian team camp in Rome.

Citing differences with the CSA, Morace announced earlier this month that she was stepping down as coach after this summer’s World Cup.

That prompted the national team to threaten a boycott of international matches unless its Italian coach returns to the fold. Canada is slated to compete at the Cyprus Cup starting at the end of the month.

The Canadian women have also retained a lawyer in their bid to secure a longterm compensation deal with the association.

Montopoli, association president Dominic Maestracci, bid consultant Walter Sieber and Minister of State (Sports) Gary Lunn delivered the Canadian bid book to FIFA president Sepp Blatter.

Canada was runner-up to Germany in the race to host this summer women’s championship and is up against Zimbabwe this time around.

FIFA’s executive committee will vote March 3 to decide the successful bidder.

The winner will also play host to the 2014 U-20 Women’s World Cup, which will serve as a test event.

The documents delivered Tuesday consist of three parts: a 265-page bid book with two other binders that contain a FIFA-CSA hosting agreement and host city and stadium contracts.

"There’s still work on our end but we feel very confident in everything that we’ve put together and how well it was received by FIFA," Montopoli said.

The CSA has not revealed its "candidate bid cities." But it has said there will be four for the 2014 U-20 tournament and a minimum of six, spread coast to coast, for the 2015 Women’s World Cup.

Montopoli says Canada has already made its case to the international soccer community.

"We do not see that we would be calling people in the next two weeks," he added. "I think our work has already been done in that regard, in a very positive way."

Montopoli said the issue of the disgruntled women’s team was not raised in the meeting with Blatter.

Share
Comments
 

Latest Soccer Videos
Man United struggling to regain identity
2:13 | Oct 20, 2014