Mourinho: Carvalho not part of Madrid’s plans

August 28, 2012, 4:08 PM

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

MADRID, Spain — Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho has told defender Ricardo Carvalho to find a new club before the close of the transfer deadline Friday or be prepared to spend the season on the sidelines.

Mourinho says the 34-year-old centre back "does not form part of our plans" despite being under contract until June 30.

The Portuguese coach spoke Tuesday on the eve of the Spanish Super Cup second leg against Barcelona. He says Madrid will respect Carvalho’s contract but "it’s his decision whether he wants to continue playing football or to stay at Real Madrid" this season.

Carvalho, who previously played under Mourinho at FC Porto and Chelsea, had been linked with a move to English club Queens Park Rangers. He left Chelsea to join Madrid when Mourinho arrived in 2010.

Share
Comments
 

Latest Soccer Videos
Monk 'talking sense' in red card appeal
1:15 | Oct 29, 2014