Formula 1 calls off Turkish Grand Prix in June, Austria gets another race

Lance Stroll of Canada leads at the start of the Formula One Turkish Grand Prix at the Istanbul Park circuit racetrack in Istanbul, Sunday, Nov. 15, 2020. (Tolga Bozoglu/Pool via AP)

PARIS — The Turkish Grand Prix scheduled for next month was called off Friday because of coronavirus travel restrictions and will be replaced by a second Formula One race in Austria.

Travel restrictions in several countries where teams are based forced F1 organizers to take the June 13 race out of Istanbul.

Instead, the French GP will move forward by one week to June 20 and Austria will get a second race – just like it did last year. The Styrian GP on June 27 will be followed by the Austrian GP on July 4, with both races at the Red Bull Ring track in Spielberg.

“I want to thank the promoter and authorities in Turkey for all of their efforts in recent weeks and want to thank the promoters in France and Austria for their speed, flexibility and enthusiasm,” F1 president Stefano Domenicali said.

The Champions League final was also taken out of Istanbul this week and moved to Porto, Portugal.

French GP spectators can use their original tickets or get a refund.

“We understand that this modification has an impact on our fans and our (commercial) partners and we’re sorry for that,” race director Eric Boullier said.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.