The Toronto Blue Jays officially activated Devon Travis from the disabled list Friday, optioning infielder Munenori Kawasaki to create roster space for the rookie second baseman.
Manager John Gibbons plans to ease Travis into action by having him hit low in the batting order.
“We’ll put him down there at the bottom,” Gibbons told Jeff Blair and Kevin Barker on Sportsnet 590 The FAN Friday. “We’ll just let him run, see how he’s doing.”
Travis hasn’t played at the big league level since May 16 due to shoulder inflammation he initially attempted to play through. The 24-year-old was recently on a rehab assignment with the triple-A Buffalo Bisons, and he collected three hits Thursday.
Ryan Goins, who started at second base in Travis’ absence, will be used regularly in a super-utility role going forward, Gibbons said.
Travis, who was named the American League’s Rookie of the Month in April, was hitting .271 with seven home runs and an .839 OPS when the Blue Jays placed him on the disabled list.
STILL NO SATURDAY STARTER: The Blue Jays have yet to name their Saturday starter, but it’s clear left-hander Matt Boyd is in consideration for the outing.
Gibbons wouldn’t confirm anything, but he acknowledged that the Blue Jays aren’t opposed to the idea of relying on a prospect such as Boyd, who was scratched from his last scheduled start with the Bisons on Thursday.
“If we didn’t think he was ready he wouldn’t be coming up here,” Gibbons said.
Boyd, 24, was promoted to triple-A Buffalo earlier this month. The 2013 sixth round pick posted a 1.10 ERA in 12 starts at double-A before posting a 2.25 ERA in two starts for the Bisons. In total he has 82 strikeouts against just 18 walks this year.
The Blue Jays are expected to make a decision Friday.