As Toronto Blue Jays fans anxiously wait for the reported 12-player blockbuster trade with Miami Marlins to become official, Bud Selig will no doubt raise some heart rates even further with his comments Thursday.
Speaking to Bob Nightengale of USA Today, the commissioner of MLB says he is in the process of reviewing the transaction and appears to be in no rush to make a ruling.
Selig says the #marlins trade is under review
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 15, 2012
Selig feels for the #marlins fans and will take everything in consideration before making decision
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 15, 2012
Bud Selig on #Marlins trade: “I am aware of the anger. ..We have this entire matter under review.’’
— Bob Nightengale (@BNightengale) November 15, 2012
It was later reported Selig isn’t a fan of the deal but sees no reason to disallow the deal.
Selig said to be “not happy” w/ #marlins trade, but so far doesn’t see basis to disallow. Selig’s quote: “under review”
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) November 15, 2012
The trade, which will send five former all-star players and $166 million in future salary commitments to the Blue Jays in exchange for seven players including three minor leaguers, has been met with outrage in Miami and elation in Toronto.
There have also been reports that several MLB owners are unhappy with the deal, specifically with the amount of salary being shed by Marlins owner Jeff Loria.
Last summer Selig approved a nine-player trade between the Boston Red Sox and Los Angeles Dodgers that moved $250 million in salaries through 2018 from Boston to L.A.
The difference here is the perception that Loria is gutting the Marlins major league roster to save on payroll, and the subsequent rancour that perception has been met with within the industry and perhaps more importantly, amongst Marlins fans.
Also on Thursday, Blue Jays president and CEO Paul Beeston said while is awaiting confirmation himself, he is excited by the prospects of the deal.
#bluejays honcho paul beeston says “still waiting” on physicals/paperwork. says can’t talk but admits “it’s exciting.”
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) November 15, 2012
Below: Check back throughout the afternoon as we’ll be adding in relevant tweets as the story progresses.
Tonight on Connected at 6 p.m. ET, more from @ken_rosenthal on John Johnson’s future and Jeff Loria’s reputation with fellow owners.
— Mike Cormack (@MikeCormack) November 15, 2012
#Jays–#Marlins blockbuster may take another day or two to get finalized with paperwork, physicals and approvals to get through. #dontpanic
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) November 15, 2012
If trade is vetoed, it will be the first since Bowie Kuhn vetoed trade of 3 all-stars for straight cash in the ’70s. There’s NO precedent.
— Mike Wilner (@Wilnerness590) November 15, 2012
PR for Mia/Fla gov. MT @jonheymancbs: Selig said to be “not happy” w/ trade, but so far doesn’t see basis to disallow. Quote: “under review”
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) November 15, 2012
Selig, like others in last 48 hrs, opined that on just pure baseball terms, the Tor-Mia megatrade is actually defensible.
— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) November 15, 2012
Selig: “I talked to two independent baseball people who tell me the Marlins did very well.” But wait there’s more.
— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) November 15, 2012
Selig: “These are independent baseball people…These are not chefs in these kitchens.” #Marlins
— Eric Fisher (@EricFisherSBJ) November 15, 2012
Issue for Selig is cities pointing to Mia as cautionary tale, refusing to build future stadiums. So review before deal approved is smart PR
— Shi Davidi (@ShiDavidi) November 15, 2012
