Bede boots winning field goal on game's final play as Argos nip Ticats

McLeod Bethel-Thompson threw for 388 yards and had 2 touchdowns as the Toronto Argonauts defeated the Hamilton Tiger-Cats 24-23.

HAMILTON -- Boris Bede's 51-yard field goal on the final play of the game capped a wild fourth quarter and earned the Toronto Argonauts a stirring 24-23 road win over the Hamilton Tiger-Cats on Monday.

Bede's game-winning boot came after Taylor Bertolet's 11-yard kick with 1:07 remaining in regulation put Hamilton ahead 23-21. But McLeod Bethel-Thompson methodically moved the Argos downfield 31 yards in seven plays.

Bertolet's field goal capped an 84-yard, nine-play drive but the biggest part of it was a successful Hamilton challenge resulted in a 35-yard pass interference call. That put the Ticats at the Toronto 24-yard line instead of punting on third down.

Bethel-Thompson's 23-yard TD strike to DaVaris Daniels at 11:00 gave Toronto a 21-20 advantage. It was a monumental comeback by the Argos, who were woefully outplayed in the first half yet only trailed 12-5.

Toronto (6-3) remained atop the East Division standings and also took a 2-1 lead in the head-to-head series with Hamilton. The fourth and final meeting will be Nov. 12 at BMO Field.

Hamilton (4-5) suffered its second straight home loss, to the dismay of a Tim Horton Field gathering 21,378. The Ticats were coming off a 23-20 overtime loss to the Montreal Alouettes on Oct. 2 after registering 11 consecutive victories on home soil.

Bethel-Thompson finished 29-of-42 passing for 388 yards and two TDs with an interception.

Hamilton starter Jeremiah Masoli completed 24-of-33 attempts for 361 yards and two touchdowns.

Masoli's 45-yard pass to Jaelon Acklin at 2:07 of the fourth put the Ticats ahead 20-8. It came after Bede's 27-yard field goal just 15 seconds into the quarter that pulled Toronto to within 13-8.

But a big reason why Toronto had to settle for the field goal was Jumal Rolle's stellar defensive play to prevent Argos' receiver Chandler Worthy from making a TD grab in the end zone.

McLeod Bethel-Thompson hit Chandler Worthy on a nine-yard TD strike at 6:40 to cut Hamilton's lead to 20-15.

Bethel-Thompson opened the second half with five straight completions for 70 yards in driving Toronto from its 10-yard line to the Hamilton 36 but Bede's 43-yard field goal try was wide, preserving Hamilton's seven-point lead. Joel Whitford made it 13-5 with a 62-yard punt single at 11:47.

Bede's 40-yard field goal cut Hamilton's half-time lead to 12-5 but the score truly flattered Toronto. The Ticats outgained the Argos 234-95 and had the ball for a whopping 19 minutes 54 seconds in the opening half.

Toronto's other points came on a safety at 8:47 of the second.

Masoli was 14-of-19 passing for 147 yards with a TD while Irons ran for 56 yards on six carries.

Bethel-Thompson completed 7-of-15 passes for 84 yards and was Toronto's rushing leader with 12 yards, which came on one play during the drive Bede capped.

Bertolet's 20-yard field goal at 5:35 gave Hamilton a 12-0 lead, capping a solid 12-play, 68-yard march. It came after his 28-yard field goal at 13:10 of the first.

Thomas Erlington opened the scoring with a 24-yard TD reception at 7:02 to finish a seven-play, 67-yard drive.

When submitting content, please abide by our  submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.
We use cookies to improve your experience. Learn More or change your cookie preferences. By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies.