LIV Golf's season will end earlier than planned.
The embattled golf league cancelled its season finale in Michigan, which had been set for Aug. 27-20 at The Cardinal at Saint John's Resort, on Monday.
Instead, a tournament scheduled to begin Thursday in Indianapolis will serve as the season-ending event and crown both an individual champion — already clinched by Jon Rahm — and team champion.
The Michigan cancellation, which had been rumoured for weeks, marks the second event that has been removed this season. Earlier this season, LIV scrapped a New Orleans event.
LIV says tickets will be refunded. It also said it is canceling the entertainment it had lined up for the Indiana event.
LIV's future has been cast in doubt over recent months after the Saudi Arabian Public Investment Fund pulled funding, sending the league scrambling to find new investors to keep its big-money tournaments afloat.
Earlier in August, LIV said it found that new investor, though did not reveal any names or dollar amounts.
LIV Golf, which launched in 2022, has spent more than $5 billion on the league. That includes some of the nine-figure bonuses to lure top players Brooks Koepka, Dustin Johnson, Bryson DeChambeau, Jon Rahm and Phil Mickelson.
Prize funds were $20 million, with an additional $5 million for the team component.
But it all began to fall apart earlier this year. Koepka was let out of his contract and returned to the PGA Tour, and Patrick Reed chose not to renew his deal. He is leading the European tour points list and will be eligible to return to the PGA Tour next year.
--with files from The Associated Press





