CHL says players, staff safe after shooting at Quebec City mosque

CHL insider Jeff Marek says his hotel in Sainte-Foy is only minutes away from the mosque shootings in Quebec City, and wonders if it should a day of paying respect for lost lives in a small community, and not for playing hockey?

QUEBEC — The Canadian Hockey League says that its players and staff in Quebec City are “safe and accounted for” after a shooting incident at a mosque in the city on Sunday night.

The league’s top prospects game was scheduled to take place in Quebec City on Monday evening.

“On behalf of the CHL, OHL, WHL and QMJHL our thoughts are with the family and friends of those affected by the shooting in Quebec City earlier this evening,” the CHL said in a statement.

“All top prospect players and staff in Quebec City are safe and accounted for. We will provide any updates as necessary.”

Police said there were multiple fatalities and two suspects are in custody.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.