Oceanic dominate Remparts to force tiebreaker

It was simple for the Rimouski Oceanic: Win and you're in. See how they bought into the program.

QUEBEC — The Rimouski Oceanic look like they have rival Quebec’s number, but Remparts coach Philippe Boucher feels they may have got some help from a referee.

Michael Joly had a goal and three assists as the Oceanic used three power-play goals to chase goalie Zach Fucale and down the host Remparts 4-0 on Wednesday.

The win helped Rimouski stave off elimination and force a tiebreaker game Thursday night at the Mastercard Memorial Cup — against the Remparts.

"We needed a big start and that’s what happened," said Oceanic centre Frederik Gauthier. "We came out strong and put pressure on their defencemen.

"It’s the last one and one team will go home and the other will continue, so we need to play our best game."

While Philippe Desrosiers made 27 saves for the shutout, Fucale was pulled in favour of Callum Booth at 12:40 of the second period after Alexis Loiseau made it 4-0 on Rimouski’s 25th shot. Booth made 17 saves.

Boucher said he wanted to rest Fucale for the rematch, given that the game at that point looked like a lost cause.

But then he lit into the tournament’s hockey operations people, who come from the NHL, for naming Jonathan Alarie as one of the refs.

"He called the first two penalties tonight, the last four against Oshawa, the one in Game 7 in Rimouski," said Boucher, who will likely be fined for his comments. "And we asked, if possible, that he’s not there. And he was there.

"It’s the NHL that decides on the refs here and they should be aware of certain things that happened during the year. Ever since a linesman was suspended for comments he made about me it’s been difficult for us. It’s disheartening."

Justin Samson, who spent half the season in junior-A hockey with Vaudreuil-Dorion, and Chris Clapperton also scored for the Oceanic, who beat the Remparts in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League final on a Game 7 overtime goal by Joly on a power play on which Alarie called the penalty.

The result put the Kelowna Rockets into the semifinal on Friday because they had the best goal percentage among three teams who finished the round robin with 1-2 records.

The Oceanic (1-2) and Remparts (1-2) will be the first teams from the same league to play a tiebreaker since Kamloops beat Portland twice in a row in 1986.

The Oshawa Generals (3-0) earned direct entry into the final on Sunday.

Rimouski has won it’s last six games at the Pepsi Colisee, including all three in the QMJHL final.

"I don’t think our team is stressed when we play here," said Joly.

The Remparts hurt themselves with messy penalties and the Oceanic made them pay.

It was a rough first period for Quebec’s Adam Erne. He was in the penalty box on a double minor for spearing when Samson scored from the slot at 14:36 and had lost his stick when Joly went around him and picked the top corner at 19:05.

Fucale had little chance to stop either of those goals or Clapperton’s tally 5:36 into the second, which he shot into a open side after a puck deflected off a defender’s skate. When Loiseau beat Fucale to the glove side, in went Booth.

The Oceanic, on the rebound from a 7-3 loss to Kelowna, were in a do-or-die game and outplayed a flat looking Remparts squad.

"It may be our last one, so we had fun, we played hard, we competed and we got a good result," said Gauthier.

Rimouski made three changes, inserting forwards Samson, Jeremy Lepine and Eduard Nasybulin and sitting out forwards Anthony Deluca and William Couture and defenceman Andrew Picco.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.