Are you like me? Will you miss Dave?
As David Letterman skates off the stage for good May 20, we pay homage to the late-night icon with the hockey smile by presenting David Letterman’s Top 10 Hockey Moments.
There is some gold here, folks. Like a 28-year-old Wayne Gretzky, then with the Kings, saying, “I would love to play in New York.” Or Brendan Shanahan measuring Chris Elliott’s jock size. Or the time Letterman went on about Team Canada’s 2010 Olympic team. Or….
10. “Top 10 Things Never Before Spoken By A Hockey Player,” presented by the 2009-10 New York Rangers:
9. Henrik Lundqvist talks about his twin brother:
8. 2013 Conn Smythe winner Patrick Kane explains the magnetism of the “coolest trophy in sports”:
7. Intern Todd reports from the 2014 Stanley Cup Final, plays mini hockey with a hamburger patty:
6. Brendan Shanahan measures Chris Elliot’s jock size: “I’m gonna go in back and see if there’s a small.”
5. Brett Hull visits the show mid-season after scoring his 50th goal in 1989-90: “I’d like to hit 70 goals.” He scored 72.
4. “Top 10 Hockey Player Pickup Lines,” presented by Team USA. Sample entry by Pat LaFontaine: “My wife calls me Gordie Wowe.”
3. Letterman interviews Wayne Gretzky as The Great One approaches the all-time scoring record:
2. Letterman’s thoughts on the 2010 Olympic gold medal game: “I was secretly hoping Canada might win…. I think all of them are from Canada anyway…. I can’t prove it, but I think they’re all Canadian.”
1.Stanley Cup champion New York Rangers present “Top 10 Ways the Rangers Spent Their Time Off.” Note the Glenn Healy and Nick Kyrpeos cameos: