DETROIT — The last time the Toronto Blue Jays and New York Yankees faced one another, the result was decidedly one-sided — a four-game Division Series win for Toronto in the teams’ first-ever post-season matchup.
From inside the visiting clubhouse in New York last October, Vladimir Guerrero Jr. joined the FOX Sports post-game show and reminded Derek Jeter who won and who lost. Meanwhile, on the field, his Blue Jays teammates popped champagne alongside staff and families at an otherwise silent Yankee Stadium.
Seven months later, as the Blue Jays return to the Bronx for the first time since that playoff win, the rosters look different — and so do the standings. Despite an off-season once described by Aaron Judge as “brutal” and “tough to watch,” it’s the Yankees who are better positioned this time. One year after the teams posted identical 94-68 records, the 28-19 Yankees are now 6.5 games ahead of the 21-25 Blue Jays.
But also: this is the regular season. So while a few memories will surely come back for many players and staff, no one’s getting eliminated this week. Ahead of the four-game series, Blue Jays players resolved to focus on the here and now rather than anything that happened in 2025.
“It’s in the past,” Guerrero Jr. said through interpreter Hector Lebron. “We as a team are very focused on trying to win the series. That’s all we have in mind right now.”
Starter Kevin Gausman acknowledged the obvious: The Blue Jays’ last visit to Yankee Stadium was “a great time.” As he said, whenever you beat the Yankees in Yankee Stadium, it’s fun. But like Guerrero Jr., he sees this series as a chance to compete against a good team — nothing more or less.
“I think we've done a good job of turning the page,” he said. “It's a new year, you know? We can be excited about that, but we’ve got to be ready for them. They're a really good team.”
Or as manager John Schneider put it: “Last year’s over.”
“Yeah, it was fun,” he added. “But it’s a totally different season and a totally different group of guys.”

Blue Jays on Sportsnet
Watch coverage of the reigning AL champion Toronto Blue Jays throughout the season on Sportsnet and Sportsnet+.
Blue Jays on Sportsnet
Reinforcing that point, three of the four pitchers likely to start against the Yankees weren’t even on the Blue Jays’ roster last fall. Wednesday starter Trey Yesavage pitched against the Yankees last October — though not at Yankee Stadium — while Dylan Cease, Patrick Corbin and Rule 5 pick Spencer Miles played for other organizations in 2025.
Cease acknowledges that pitching at Yankee Stadium or Dodger Stadium feels a little different than, say, Miami. At the same time, his preparation doesn’t change.
“I’m just going there to do my best to win,” said Cease, who didn’t watch last year’s ALDS at all. “I don’t really care about any of the other stuff. I’ve pitched there before. I’ve pitched against the Yankees a bunch. It’s really the same thing, just a new uniform and a new team to fight for.”
Even if his task remains the same, he does appreciate the environment.
“It’s different in a good way, honestly,” he said. “It’s a big stage. You feel the energy. I personally like it. You can really feed off of that when it’s intense.”
But while Cease can draw on experience, it’ll be a completely new challenge for Miles, who just made his MLB debut in March before emerging as a trusted arm who’s likely to handle bulk duties Thursday opposite Carlos Rodon. The prospect of pitching there excites the 25-year-old, who says he’s ready to contribute in any role.
“Absolutely,” he said. “Of course I'm looking forward to that. First time pitching at Yankee Stadium. That's going to be epic. Whatever it is, I'll answer the call.”
Fellow rookie Adam Macko hasn’t made his MLB debut yet, setting up the possibility of a big ask against a powerful Yankees lineup. He says the experience of retiring Aaron Judge while pitching for Team Canada at the World Baseball Classic in March gives him “more confidence” that his stuff plays against the best.
As for Corbin, he recalls tuning in and out of last fall’s ALDS here and there. But of course he had no idea back then that he’d end up pitching for the Blue Jays, so he was following casually — just as he’s loosely tracking the Yankees’ early success a year later.
“They’ve gotten off to a great start,” Corbin said. “We’re going through some stuff here. But the guys in this clubhouse are confident. It’s going to be a test.”
If anyone seems to respond to the challenge of playing at Yankee Stadium, it’s Guerrero Jr., who has video game numbers against the team he once said he'd never play for, "not even dead." Along with 16 home runs and 30 RBI in 48 games in the Bronx, Guerrero Jr. has a .308 batting average and a 1.002 OPS.
After connecting for his first home run in nearly a month Sunday, there are signs the first baseman is finally getting his bat going. And there’s optimism Yankee Stadium can help even more.
"I hope so," Schneider said. "When you’re in a certain place or city or atmosphere, yeah, sometimes that plays into it. I think he's getting pretty close.”
Of course Guerrero Jr.’s not alone when it comes to offensive struggles. Yankee Stadium might help him, but the Blue Jays collectively rank last in the American League in on-base percentage while the Yankees are first.
With Ryan Weathers, Will Warren, Cam Schlittler and Rodon set to pitch for the Yankees, Blue Jays hitters are in for one tough test after another. Adding to the challenge, the stadium will certainly be louder than it was when the Blue Jays silenced Yankees fans last fall.
But whatever happens this week, it’s a new experience driven by a considerably different roster than last year’s team. As Corbin says, “eventually you’ve got to turn the page and move forward.”
“The last time we were there it was fun,” Schneider said. “We've also been there when it's been not so fun. You can't go in there just expecting cool stuff to happen. You’ve got to go make it happen.”






0:34