Boxing great Oscar De La Hoya announces return to ring this July

Boxing great Oscar De La Hoya. (Graham Hughes/CP)

Boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya says he’s returning to the ring this summer, 13 years after his last official bout.

“July 3, I’m making my comeback,” De La Hoya said Friday, according to Sporting News, while promoting an April fight between YouTube celebrity Jake Paul and retired MMA fighter Ben Askren. He then reportedly dropped his microphone and walked off the stage.

The location of the fight and his opponent were not announced, but Boxing Scene.com reports the fight would headline a pre-4th of July pay-per-view event as part of the Triller Fight Club series.

The 48-year-old last fought in December of 2008, a loss to Manny Pacquiao. He retired with a 39-6 record and championships in six different weight classes.

De La Hoya opened up about a potential return to the ring earlier this week in an interview with DAZN’s Chris Mannix, saying Mike Tyson’s return last year inspired him to get back in the gym.

“I’ve been training for quite a while now, and I actually sparred the other day, and I didn’t know I was that good?” De La Hoya told Mannix. “I forgot how good I was. There’s something there, I want to keep sparring, keep training. I want to see how my body holds up.

“I’m 168, going to come down to 160 and see how I feel.”

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.