SPORTSNET.CA
Fedor Emelianenko’s management has reportedly turned down a previously unheard of offer from the UFC that would have paid him $5 million per fight and allowed virtually unhindered advertising for M-1.
According to radio host Carmichael Dave, the deal that the UFC put on the table for the Russian superstar was a six-fight, $30-million contract that also had the following terms:
– A cut of PPV revenue (standard for top fighters)
– An immediate title shot against Brock Lesnar (expected)
– The freedom to participate in Sambo competitions during the length of his contract
– An agreement to display M-1 logos on his apparel as well in the Octagon
Apparently the main stumbling block remains the insistence that M-1 Global be a co-promoter of his fights, and that is something the UFC is most likely unwilling to concede.
Loretta Hunt of Sherdog.com wrote late Thursday the reported deal was “way, way, way out of range,” according to M-1 Global CEO Joost Raimond, who said the length of any proposed deal was never agreed upon, and the amount per fight Emelianenko was offered was significantly less than the reported $5 million (less than half).
Meanwhile, MMAfrenzy.com reports Strikeforce has also made an offer for Emelianenko’s services that is “very good.” It is not as lucrative as the UFC’s — whatever it was — but would meet his side’s co-promotion requirements.
BABYFACE CLAIMS INNOCENCE: Top heavyweight contender Josh (The Babyface Assassin) Barnett has released a statement saying he never intentionally took any banned substance in preparation for his fight against Emelianenko. The California State Athletic Commission said he tested positive for an anabolic steroid last month and was denied a licence to fight at the Affliction event scheduled for Aug. 1, which has since been cancelled and the organization has subsequently pulled out of the fight game.
SEMTEX TO FILL OCTAGON? British striker Paul (Semtex) Daley, who was scheduled to fight Jay Hieron on the Affliction: Trilogy card, has signed a four-fight deal with the UFC, reports Fighters Only magazine. The welterweight, who unsuccessfully challenged Jake Shields for EliteXC’s belt last year, could be in consideration for the UFC’s November card in Manchester, England. Hieron, meanwhile, has stepped in to replace Joe Riggs on Strikeforce’s Aug. 15 event in a bout against Nick Diaz for its vacant welterweight title.
ESPN DEAL… IN THE U.K.: The UFC has reached a deal with the region-specific version of ESPN which will allow the organization to broadcast its events in Great Britain and Ireland, according to MMAjunkie.com. The multi-year contract goes into effect in time for viewers overseas to watch next weekend’s UFC 101, taking place at the Wachovia Center in Philadelphia.
UFC UNDISPUTED… WITH NUNCHUKS: THQ, the video game developer behind the ultra-successful “UFC 2009 Undisputed,” is releasing a version of the game for the Nintendo Wii, the first which will include the platform’s patented motion controls. It was also announced this week that THQ will bring the title to PSP handhelds and will build the franchise in other ways, including offering annual editions of the game.