As the Kansas City Chiefs enter this off-season, they face more uncertainty than they're used to after a disappointing season.
But head coach Andy Reid insists that there is still time for a clearer picture to form — especially regarding star tight end Travis Kelce.
While speaking on next week's NFL combine, Reid told reporters Friday he remains positive as there have been ongoing conversations with Kelce about a possible return in 2026. Though there has not been an official commitment from the tight end, Reid emphasized that the two sides have remained in touch.
"There is communication," Reid said to ESPN's Nate Taylor on Friday. "That's the main thing. I've said this before: As long as there's communication, I'm good. That means people want to move forward. I think that's where Travis is."
Kelce, a 13-year veteran, acknowledged shortly after the season ended that he was unsure of his future in football, and said he intends to make a decision before free agency starts at the beginning of March. Outside of Reid, many others within the organization are hopeful that he will return for the next season.
Despite some signs of decline in recent seasons, Kelce remained a key player for Kansas City's offence in 2025. He led the team in targets (108), receptions (76), receiving yards (851), touchdowns (5) and first downs (45). With his base salary last year being $4.5 million and a roster bonus of $12.5 million, it remains unclear whether Kelce would return under the same financial structure.
With retirement rumours running, Kelce’s future with the Chiefs remains one of the franchise’s biggest unanswered questions. Reid’s upbeat tone suggests there is a real possibility of a return, but until Kelce makes a final decision, nothing is guaranteed.
Whether he chooses to suit up for another season or walk away after a decorated career, a big domino for the Chiefs' off-season will soon fall.





2:26