The Dallas Mavericks have sued the Dallas Stars for breach of contract, alleging the NHL team is foiling attempts to improve the American Airlines Center, according to Front Office Sports and the Dallas Morning News reports on Wednesday.
The Stars have countersued, according to the reports, seeking to "restore normal operations." The two teams have shared the facility since relocating from Reunion Arena on July 17, 2001.
Several other claims were made by the Mavericks and their owners, Dallas Sports Group, including one alleging that the Stars are “holding the American Airlines Center hostage” by not cooperating on discussions about renovations and operations of the arena.
“Their lawsuit seeks to marginalize the Dallas Stars to the role of a mere tenant and, ultimately, drive the team out of Dallas,” Stars lawyer Joshua Sandler said, in part, in a statement to the Dallas Morning News. “The goal of the Stars’ lawsuit is to ensure that the AAC continues to serve as a world-class venue for all who call Dallas home.”
The statement further says the Mavericks are staging “nothing short of a hostile takeover" of the arena, according to Front Office Sports.
Front Office Sports reported earlier in October that the Stars are considering building an arena in Plano, Texas, a move that was seen as a response to the news that the Mavericks were considering building their own arena without the involvement of the Stars.
“It’s really sad that a relationship has turned into this for no reason,” Stars president Brad Alberts told the Dallas Morning News. “The Stars are not the Dallas Mavericks’ enemy. Never have been and never will be. We want to work together with them and run a really good sports and entertainment business at this arena.
“We’re not trying to take interests away from the Mavericks. We’re not trying to take position away from the Mavericks, and it’s just unfortunate. It’s the biggest disappointment in my career.”

0:31
0:51
