Monday deadline looms for claims in $75M Nassar settlement

Larry Nassar appears for his sentencing at Eaton County Circuit Court in Charlotte, Mich. Michigan State University is claiming criminal conduct by Nassar did not violate NCAA rules. The school shared its findings in a letter from attorney Mike Glazier to the NCAA on March 22. It was responding to the governing body’s request to look into potential rule violations related to Nassar, the imprisoned former doctor who was paid to treat Spartans. (Cory Morse /AP)

EAST LANSING, Mich. — A lawyer predicts 150 or more new claims against Michigan State University as a deadline looms for lawsuits by people who say they were sexually assaulted by sports doctor Larry Nassar.

The deadline to file is Monday for people who weren’t part of a $425 million May settlement between Michigan State and 332 victims. Michigan State has agreed to set aside an additional $75 million for additional claims.

Nassar is serving decades in prison for possessing child pornography and assaulting females, mostly gymnasts.

Attorney Gary Bender says he’s representing 10 women or girls. He says his clients were embarrassed or weren’t prepared to step forward earlier.

Bender predicts attorneys will file at least 150 new lawsuits, based on the filings so far and his talks with other lawyers.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.