Former Valencia president charged with sexually abusing minor

Valencia and Levante players fights for the ball during the Spanish La Liga soccer match between Valencia and Levante at the Mestalla Stadium. (Alberto Saiz/AP)

Editor's note: The following story deals with sexual assault, and may be upsetting for some readers. If you or someone you know is in need of support, those in Canada can find province-specific centres, crisis lines and services here. For readers in America, a list of resources and references for survivors and their loved ones can be found here.



MADRID — Public prosecutors in Spain have charged a former president of Valencia soccer club with sexually abusing a minor, local media reported Friday.

According to news agency Europa Press, prosecutors have accused Pedro Cortes of sexually abusing an underage member of the club's youth teams last year. They are seeking a two-year prison sentence.

Prosecutors said Cortes, who was president of Valencia from 1997-2001, touched the player in an inappropriate fashion while driving in his car. They said Cortes knew the youth after the player's family hired a company run by the soccer official's son to represent him.

Cortes has denied the charges.

When the first accusation was made by the player's family, Valencia's training academy issued a statement saying that it was "accompanying our player and the family'' and would "strengthen our measures to protect the wellbeing of all members of Valencia CF.''

 

When submitting content, please abide by our  submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.
We use cookies to improve your experience. Learn More or change your cookie preferences. By continuing to use this site, you agree to the use of cookies.
close