Carvalho joins Monaco on a free transfer

Monaco says Portuguese defender Ricardo Carvalho has joined Monaco from Real Madrid on a free transfer. (AP/Andres Kudacki)

MONACO — Monaco says Portuguese defender Ricardo Carvalho has joined from Real Madrid on a free transfer, signing a one-year contract with the big-spending promoted club for next season.

Carvalho said Tuesday that “I’m very happy to join Monaco and participate in this new adventure. It’s a new challenge for me.”

The 35-year-old Carvalho won the Premier League with Chelsea and Spanish league with Real Madrid.

Last week, Monaco signed Portugal midfielder Joao Moutinho and Colombia international James Rodriguez from FC Porto for a combined 70 million euros. There is widespread speculation that Atletico Madrid striker Radamel Falcao will be the next star to join Claudio Ranieri’s squad.

Rodriguez was a previous teammate of Falcao’s at Porto, and he reportedly told Colombian newspaper El Tiempo that “I’ve already played with him and now we’re going to be together again, that’s also going to be good.”

Monaco was promoted to the topflight French league after winning the second division this season.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.