David Beckham says he’ll reveal Miami MLS plans on Monday

David-Beckham

David Beckham has joined his former Manchester United teammates in investing in fifth-tier English team Salford. (Lynne Sladky/AP)

MIAMI – David Beckham can finally see the goal in Miami, and his Major League Soccer team is about to be born.

The soccer icon and his group of partners announced plans for a news conference Monday, saying they will make "an important announcement on the future of soccer in Miami."

Beckham is ready to draw his first Miami crowd, too: The event at a downtown arts centre will be open to fans. MLS, which will stream the event live on its website, said they were participating in what will be "a special announcement."

MLS Commissioner Don Garber is among those expected to attend, along with several Miami-Dade County political officials. Other members of Beckham’s group include Sprint CEO Marcelo Claure, entertainment entrepreneur Simon Fuller and South Florida businessman Jorge Mas — who tried unsuccessfully to buy the Miami Marlins last year.

Beckham has spent the last four years trying to bring MLS back to South Florida. The Miami Fusion played from 1998-2001, folding because of poor attendance.

Beckham’s plans for Miami were delayed because of ongoing challenges regarding where he could build a stadium for his new team. His group originally wanted a waterfront site, then settled on a plot of land in Miami’s Overtown neighbourhood — a deal that has faced legal challenges, even after he spent $9 million to purchase a needed piece of land from the county.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.