Ex-England star Paul Gascoigne cleared of sexual assault

paul-gascoigne-leaves-court

Former England footballer Paul Gascoigne leaves Teesside Crown Court in Middlesbrough where he appeared on charges of sexually assaulting a woman on a train, Monday Oct. 14, 2019. (Danny Lawson/PA via AP)

MIDDLESBROUGH, England — Former England soccer star Paul Gascoigne has been cleared of sexually assaulting a woman on a train after he kissed her on the lips.

A jury at Teesside Crown Court cleared the former Tottenham and Newcastle midfielder of that offence, plus a less serious alternative charge of assault by beating which they were told to consider by the judge.

The 52-year-old Gascoigne said he had no sexual intention when he planted a sloppy kiss on the stranger, who he said had been abused by another passenger.

The case related to a train journey in between York and Newcastle in northern England in August 2018.

Comments are turned off for this story.