NYCFC reaches East final after penalty shootout win over Revolution

New York City FC players celebrate after defeating the New England Revolution in an MLS playoff soccer match Tuesday, Nov. 30, 2021, in Foxborough, Mass. (Charles Krupa/AP)

FOXBOROUGH, Mass. — Sean Johnson saved Adam Buksa’s attempt during a shootout and all five of Johnson’s teammates scored as New York City FC advanced to its first Eastern Conference final 5-3 on penalty kicks following a 2-2 playoff draw with the New England Revolution on Tuesday night.

Alexander Callens scored on the final penalty shot for NYC, which will play the Philadelphia Union on Sunday for a spot in the MLS Cup.

Alfredo Morales, Thiago Andrade, Ismael Tajouri-Shradi, Maximiliano Moralez and Callens all converted from the penalty spot against Matt Turner, the MLS goalkeeper of the year.

Each team scored in the opening 10 minutes of the match but it remained that way until extra time.

Valentin Castellanos, the Golden Boot winner, gave NYC a 2-1 lead in the 109th minute with a header of Gudmundur Thorarinsson’s cross, and Canadian Tajon Buchanan tied it nine minutes later.

That was the New England swansong for Buchanan, runner-up to FC Dallas’s Ricardo Pepi for MLS Young Player of the Year. The 22-year-old from Brampton, Ont., will now join Club Brugge in Belgium

New England was trying to become the eighth Supporters’ Shield winner to win the MLS Cup.

Santiago Rodriguez opened the scoring for NYC in the third minute with his fourth goal of the season — and first since Sept. 9 against New England. The Revolution responded six minutes later when Buksa scored his 17th goal of the season by heading in Carles Gil’s free kick.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.