TFC to stick to its tactical guns at start of MLS season

James Sharman and Craig Forrest talk about what fans can expect from Toronto FC, the Montreal Impact and Vancouver Whitecaps this season.

Toronto FC kicks off the 2017 Major League Soccer season on Saturday, away to Real Salt Lake, and one of the more intriguing questions surrounding the Reds going into this campaign is how they will line up.

All 11 starters from last year’s MLS Cup loss to the Seattle Sounders remain with TFC. With Chris Mavinga unavailable for Saturday’s contest and fellow newcomer Victor Vazquez not fully fit, you can expect coach Greg Vanney to use the same starting 11 from the MLS Cup for Saturday’s curtain raiser.

 
Soccer Central Radio - March 2 - Thursday
March 02 2017

But what about beyond that? Last season, Vanney displayed his tactical flexibility, using a number of variations on the 4-4-2 formation before eventually settling on a 3-5-2 setup. Debates have arisen amongst fans and pundits as to which formation he should use.

Vanney confirmed this week that 3-5-2 will remain as the team’s tactical template, it’s default system.

“I think it’s the foundation of where we’re going to be to start the season, and I suspect for much of the season. I do think we have some flexibility because we have a lot of very interesting midfielders in our group to continue to see how that may play from time to time—whether we play with four midfielders and come back to something that is a [flat four] or [diamond] shaped [midfield]. We have options,” Vanney told reporters this week.

“But by and large, I think our ability to push the game and to really open teams up and defend in a good way, we’ve shown that in the [3-5-2] system we can create some things and create some havoc. It’ll be our starting point and we’ll go from there.”

Veteran defender Drew Moor left no doubts as to his preference towards the 3-5-2, even if it is more physically and mentally challenging.

“I certainly think [the 3-5-2] brings out the best in our team. It’s different from a 4-4-2 as a defender in terms of positioning, how to communicate, where to communicate, when to put pressure on the ball, when to drop back a little bit. It’s small things, but it’s a lot of communication and organization when you do go into a back three,” Moor told Sportsnet.

“I feel like I’m a guy who’s communicated a lot over my career, and I’m communicating now more in games than I ever have just because you need to sniff out plays early on, and getting guys in the right positions is hugely important. In attack, [playing 3-5-2] frees up some our players, and it creates more space for some our dangerous players, so the onus is on the back group of guys to be organized early and that we’re not leaving big gaps.”

 
Match Preview at Real Salt Lake ft. Tosaint Ricketts
March 02 2017

TFC has a great deal of midfield depth. With fullbacks Justin Morrow and Steven Beitashour pushed up and out wide in the middle of the park in the 3-5-2, it leaves only three spots open in the middle. Look for Michael Bradley, Armando Cooper and Canadian Jonathan Osorio to serve as the “midfield three” early on in the season.

Once Vazquez is fully fit and ready to go, either Osorio or Cooper will have to make way for the Spaniard.

Also in the midfield mix are veteran Benoit Cheyrou, and youngsters Marky Delgado, Tsubasa Endoh, and Canadians Jay Chapman, Raheem Edwards and Sergio Camargo.

With only three midfield positions open and so many players vying for those spots, competition for playing time is going to be intense. Vanney admitted “it’s going to be a challenge to find enough minutes for everybody.”

“There’s obviously a lot of competition in that spot,” Vanney said. “I think right now one of my big challenges is we’ve got a young and up-and-coming group between Jay and Marky, and Sergio who we added this year.

“In order for their development to continue to progress, I’ve got to find time to make sure that they’re in [the lineup]. They have the ability to compete for those spots but it’s going to be a tough midfield to break into.”

[relatedlinks]

Sportsnet.ca no longer supports comments.