– PLUS, Trevor Gretzky, the son of The Great One, is chasing a legacy of his own on the baseball diamond –
TORONTO (September 12, 2013) In an exclusive story in the latest issue of Sportsnet magazine, new Ottawa Senator Bobby Ryan and his parents open up to features editor Gare Joyce about Ryan’s lost childhood – including moving across the country, living under an alias, and his father going to prison – with hockey becoming Ryan’s escape from it all.
PLUS, Growing up Gretzky
What’s it like to be the son of The Great One? Trevor Gretzky, middle child of Canada’s most celebrated athlete, is currently chasing a legacy of his own in the Chicago Cubs minor league baseball system. Senior writer Brett Popplewell went to Chicago to talk to him, taking in a game alongside proud parents Wayne and Janet Gretzky.
Also in this issue of Sportsnet, on newsstands now:
- Getting away from it all: Ahead of a season of questions, reporter Arash Madani takes readers into the off-season hideaway of Toronto Maple Leafs captain Dion Phaneuf
- New Era: MLB’s tectonic plates are shifting, with a cadre of young stars getting better, faster, richer – sooner. Staff writer Arden Zwelling reports
- Breaking Bones: Who is Alexander Gustafsson? He’s the No. 1 contender for Jon “Bones” Jones’s light heavyweight belt, and at UFC 165 in Toronto next week he’ll be trying to take it. Assistant editor Dave Zarum takes readers inside Gustafsson’s world
- Last Word with Stephen Brunt: Twenty-five years after the Seoul 1988 Olympic Games, it’s time to forgive Ben Johnson
Social Media Links
Official website, Sportsnet www.sportsnet.ca
Like Sportsnet www.Facebook.com/Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet @Sportsnet
Follow Sportsnet magazine @Sportsnetmag
Follow Gare Joyce @GareJoyceNHL
Follow Brett Popplewell @b_popps
Follow Arash Madani @ArashMadani
Follow Arden Zwelling @ArdenZwelling
Follow Dave Zarum @DaveZarum
Follow Sportsnet PR @SportsnetPR
Sportsnet connects Canadian sports fans to their favourite teams and athletes, using five platforms: TV, Radio, Print, Online and Mobile. Sportsnet is Fuelled By Fans, and delivers storytelling on a local, regional, national and global level. The multiplatform brand consists of Sportsnet, sportsnet.ca, Sportsnet 590 The FAN, Sportsnet 960 The FAN, Sportsnet magazine, Sportsnet Mobile and the Hockey Central app on iPad and Playbook. Sportsnet consists of four regional channels (Sportsnet East, Ontario, West and Pacific), and the nationally-distributed Sportsnet ONE, Sportsnet World, and Sportsnet 360. Sportsnet is the Canadian leader in NHL and MLB television broadcasts and is home to 162 Toronto Blue Jays games, plus MLB Playoffs and the World Series. Sportsnet is an official licensed broadcaster of the 2014 FIFA World Cup BrazilTM and also offers an exciting sports lineup including the NFL, the Memorial Cup, CIS Vanier Cup, Ultimate Fighting Championship®, Grand Slam of Curling, IZOD IndyCar Series, the Rogers Cup tennis tournament, and extensive soccer programming including Barclays Premier League, UEFA Champions League, UEFA Europa League, MLS Vancouver Whitecaps FC, CONCACAF and Canadian national team matches for men and women. Connected is the network’s nightly news program, providing regional and national coverage of the day’s events in the world of sports.