It may not come as a surprise, but the Toronto Maple Leafs have topped Forbes’ list as the team with the most expensive secondary ticket market in the NHL.
The average ticket price for a Leafs game is currently $368.60, which is an increase from the $323.48 it cost at the start of last season. Leafs ticket prices increase by 13.95 per cent year over year, according to the publication.
Toronto is the most lucrative hockey market in the world. Last year they became the first NHL team worth $1 billion and in July the Leafs were the only NHL team named to Forbes’ list of the 50 most valuable sports franchises in the world.
The defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks had the largest increase in secondary ticket prices from the beginning of last year with a 57 per cent increase. The Blackhawks rank second in the NHL and are the only American team ranked in the top seven.
The Winnipeg Jets have the third highest average ticket price, second among Canadian teams at $276.69.
Following the Jets are the Edmonton Oilers, Vancouver Canucks, Calgary Flames and Montreal Canadiens. The Ottawa Senators have the least expensive tickets among Canadian teams at $137.82, ranking 15th in the league.
Despite a 16.9 per cent increase in prices, the Phoenix Coyotes have the least expensive secondary tickets in the league.
Here’s the complete list of average NHL ticket prices on the secondary market:
1) Toronto Maple Leafs: $368.60
2) Chicago Blackhawks: $313.18
3) Winnipeg Jets: $276.69
4) Edmonton Oilers: $272.75
5) Vancouver Canucks: $265.48
6) Calgary Flames: $262.10
7) Montreal Canadiens: $257.06
8) New York Rangers: $232.93
9) Boston Bruins: $222.53
10) Pittsburgh Penguins: $203.93
11) Minnesota Wild: $153.82
12) San Jose Sharks: $150.65
13) New York Islanders: $150.60
14) Buffalo Sabres: $139.53
15) Ottawa Senators: $137.82
16) Los Angeles Kings: $126.23
17) Washington Capitals: $126.21
18) New Jersey Devils: $125.36
19) Detroit Red Wings: $124.34
20) Dallas Stars: $123.79
21) Philadelphia Flyers: $123.32
22) Carolina Hurricanes: $120.33
23) Florida Panthers: $118.87
24) Nashville Predators: $108.18
25) St. Louis Blues: $105.84
26) Tampa Bay Lightning: $101.79
27) Columbus Blue Jackets: $95.90
28) Anaheim Ducks: $91.49
29) Colorado Avalanche: $86.40
30) Phoenix Coyotes: $76.65