Immediately following his shocking knockout loss to Chris Weidman at UFC 162 over the weekend, Anderson Silva said he was no longer interested in fighting for the UFC’s middleweight title, though now it appears the Brazilian has changed his mind.
According to MMAFighting.com, sources very close to Silva, 38, said the former champion wants a rematch with Weidman before the end of the year.
The report said the sources, who wished to remain anonymous, have never seen Silva so motivated and that he is pining to avenge his loss to Weidman.
On Wednesday, Weidman told Jim Rome’s radio show The Jungle that Silva does in fact want a rematch and that it would likely take place in December or February.
The 29-year-old champion, who improved to 10-0 as a pro, said after he won the belt that he would welcome a rematch if that's what Silva and the UFC wanted.
UFC president Dana White told the Los Angeles Times earlier in the week that he is so excited at the prospect of a rematch that he would consider bumping the current main event for the promotion’s year-end UFC 168 event in order to accommodate the rematch.
An anticipated rematch between Ronda Rousey and Miesha Tate was officially announced as the UFC 168 headliner at the UFC 162 post-fight press conference, but White suggested he could move the fight to sometime in early 2014.
Though many fans and fighters -- including Georges St-Pierre and Chael Sonnen -– believed Weidman would become the new champ, next to no one picked Weidman to knock Silva out on the feet.
Silva went down after he was caught with a left hook while showboating in the second round. It was the first knockout loss of Silva’s career.
Many fans accused Silva of throwing the fight due his antics in the cage that were deemed unprofessional by some. Weidman said on The Jungle, "That's a joke. It's ridiculous," when talking about the notion that the fight was fixed or that Silva didn't try.
Vegas odds have already been released for a potential Silva-Weidman rematch and they have Silva listed as a 2-to-1 favourite.
The UFC hasn't made any formal announcement about a rematch.