CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie says he’s taken 20 per cent pay cut

cfl-commissioner-randy-ambrosie-speaks-in-halifax

CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie speaks at a news conference. (Andrew Vaughan/CP)

TORONTO — CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie says he has taken a 20 per cent pay cut due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Ambrosie came under heavy fire earlier this week for unilaterally imposing a 20 per cent reduction to the football operations cap of all nine CFL teams.

But in a statement Thursday, Ambrosie divulged that he and every member of the CFL’s executive team took a 20 per cent pay cut in April.

Ambrosie has also been criticized by the CFL Players’ Association for not keeping players involved in the process of determining the details of a potential abbreviated 2020 season.

Ambrosie has stated the ’20 campaign won’t start until September, at the earliest, but the possibility also exists for a cancelled season.

In the statement, Ambrosie said the CFL and CFLPA have written the Canadian government to change the criteria for its wage subsidy program so players are fully eligible.

Ambrosie added the league is looking forward to working with the players to effectively deal with the pandemic, both this year and beyond.

When submitting content, please abide by our submission guidelines, and avoid posting profanity, personal attacks or harassment. Should you violate our submissions guidelines, we reserve the right to remove your comments and block your account. Sportsnet reserves the right to close a story’s comment section at any time.