After watching several of his peers make the jump from Europe to Major League Soccer, Alexis Sanchez decided to follow suit.
The Chilean soccer legend signed with CF Montréal last week, becoming the club’s newest designated player in a move that has made headlines around the soccer world and energized the fan base.
“I’m a very competitive person, and I saw that many top players are coming to MLS like (Lionel) Messi, (Luis) Suarez and (Robert) Lewandowski,” Sanchez said Tuesday. “I’m someone who’s always played in big clubs, so I came here for a challenge. I have every intention of becoming champion here; I want to win.”
Between flying to Montreal, having an audience with Mayor Soraya Martinez Ferrada, being presented to the fans at Stade Saputo on Saturday and meeting his new teammates, it has been a very busy week for Sanchez since his arrival.
On Tuesday, Sanchez — arguably the team’s most high-profile signing in more than a decade — met the media alongside Luca Saputo, CF Montréal’s managing director of recruitment and sporting methodology.
Chile’s most prolific international goal scorer joins a team that has hit historic lows in recent years. In the past 18 months, Montreal has registered just 13 wins in all competitions and currently sits 14th in the Eastern Conference, seven points out of a playoff spot.
Facing poor results and dwindling fan attendance, the club published an open letter to the fans in July 2025, apologizing for the on-field product and promising a full rebuild. It's the hope of both the front office and the dressing room that adding a player with Sanchez’s resume will lead to brighter days ahead.
“From that first contact, everything went very quickly,” said Saputo. “The first consideration is what he can bring you on the field, but with a player of this status, he can also bring a lot off the field, so it was a perfect fit.”
Over the years, Sanchez developed a reputation as a hard worker and intense competitor in training. He took advantage of the team’s day off Sunday to work individually with members of the coaching staff.
Sanchez admitted that he may lack some match sharpness due to the European off-season, but has been training consistently for the last several weeks in Italy.
Interim head coach Philippe Eullaffroy said Sanchez has already made an impression during practice.
“He’s completely natural (in training), humble and ready to work. He showed it to us and confirmed everything we thought about him,” said Eullaffroy. “There has to be less shyness (from the rest of the team) when playing with him or asking him for the ball vocally. Because sometimes around players like that, you don’t dare speak up, so that barrier will have to be passed quickly.”
His physical tests exceeded expectations, according to the club. Sanchez will not only be included in Montreal’s game-day squad Wednesday at Columbus, but he’s expected to play his first minutes just five days after landing in North America.
At 37, Sanchez will be the 11th-oldest active MLS player if he makes his debut in Columbus, prompting some skepticism about his acquisition by a club in the midst of a full rebuild.
That may be the view of some around the league, but the concerns don't appear to weigh on the Chilean.
“Nothing,” Sanchez joked when asked what he had to say to those questioning the move. “I trust my ability as a player; I was born playing football, I grew up playing football, and it’s a talent that God gave me. I feel good physically, and I felt good training with 22-year-old boys, and I ran more than they did.”
Sanchez has played several attacking positions throughout his career and built a reputation as an adaptable player. At his newest club, Eullaffroy left the door open to changing the team’s shape to accommodate the new star’s abilities.
Both Eullaffroy and Sanchez said his role could change depending on the rest of the squad’s availability as his debut approaches.
