Colorado Avalanche defenceman Cale Makar told reporters on Tuesday that he has been contacted by the NHL as part of the league's investigation into 2018 sexual assault allegations against Hockey Canada, the Canadian Hockey League, and eight of its players.
Makar also stated publicly that he was not part of the group of eight players against whom the allegations were launched, and said he doesn't know much about the alleged events.
"I don't know how much I'm able to talk about it, because I think it's an ongoing investigation, but I did receive an email and obviously I'll be very cooperative in the investigation," Makar told reporters during a media availability ahead of the Stanley Cup Final. "Whatever they need from me, I'll be very cooperative."
Makar was part of the 2017-18 Canadian world junior team that is cited in a civil lawsuit filed in April. In it, a woman alleges she was sexually assaulted by eight CHL players, including some members of that year's world junior team, after a Hockey Canada Foundation gala in London, Ont. The woman did not name the players -- they are known as John Does 1-8 in the statement of claim -- and wishes to keep her own identity private. The allegations included in the lawsuit, which was settled by Hockey Canada last month, have not been heard in a court of law. The terms of the settlement were not disclosed.
Following news of the Hockey Canada settlement last month, the NHL released a statement declaring its intent to conduct its own investigation into the matter.
Hockey Canada released a statement in the wake of the settlement last month saying the organization had contacted local police after becoming aware of the allegations in 2018 and retained the law firm Henein Hutchison LLP to conduct "a thorough independent internal investigation and make recommendations on areas for improvement which we have been implementing and will continue to pursue."
Makar told reporters Tuesday that he was interviewed by Hockey Canada as part of that investigation.
Hockey Canada's investigation, as well as the circumstances surrounding the settled lawsuit, will be in the spotlight Monday in Ottawa as the Standing Committee on Canadian Heritage prepares to question four members of Hockey Canada and the Hockey Canada Foundation about its actions following the allegations and leading up to the settlement.