No progress between Subban, Habs in meeting

January 25, 2013, 11:15 AM

The Montreal Canadiens and defenceman P.K. Subban’s made no advancement in negotiations during a meeting Friday to discuss a new contract, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.

Earlier on Friday, it was reported that Subban was seeking a long-term deal with the starting point for negotiations being in the vicinity of forward Jamie Benn’s new contract with the Dallas Stars.

Benn signed a five-year, $26.25 million contract on Thursday night after he missed the first several games of the season as a restricted free agent holdout.

Subban, who became a restricted free agent after last season, has repeatedly said he would ideally like to remain in Montreal.

“I’ve accomplished a lot for someone who’s only 23,” Subban told the Montreal Gazette earlier this week. “I’m playing in one of the best markets in the NHL. To me, it seems like a pretty easy situation: you have a guy who wants to be there, for a long time, who actually thrives on playing in the pressure of Montreal. I don’t think there could be any more pressure than what I’ve had playing here the last two years.”

Since being drafted 43rd overall by the Canadiens in the 2007 NHL Draft, the 23-year-old has registered 76 points and 145 penalty minutes in 160 regular-season games and has become a fan favourite.

The contract dispute has many thinking that Subban could be traded and on the popular sports betting website Bodog.ca there is a current prop wager asking: “What will happen next for P.K. Subban?”

The odds that Subban will play a game for the Montreal Canadiens this season are –200.

The odds that Subban plays a game for another NHL team this season are +150.

Share

Latest NHL Videos
'Quick' save and a beauty
1:14 | Apr 23, 2014